Cleaning off the gas burner is important, and when it comes to cleaning off rust it becomes highly crucial. Rust could get your gas burner clogged, resulting in weak flame. But how to clean a gas burner off rust quick and easy?
Rust is formed due to the moisture and food particles on the burner. When there is exposure to water and oxygen then the rust is caused in ferrous metals. Products like baking soda, dishwasher detergent and vinegar can be used to remove surface rust from the burners. Vinegar helps to break down the grease and the baking soda helps as a scrubber. You need to keep the burners clean and not let new rust from on top of it. Flame becomes irregular or if it turns yellow in color then it’s time for you to clean your gas stove.
There are a few tips on cleaning the gas burner that you should keep in mind to have a tidy gas stove –
- Read the instructions – first thing to do for how to clean a gas burner is to read the manual of the gas stove you have purchased; All the electronic appliances carry their manual with them. The manual must have the cleaning tips as well as the products that should be used to clean the burner. It will also help you to know which are the areas you can clean and which areas should not be touched.
- Removal of the burner caps – the second step should be the removal of the burner caps. If your gas stove is pretty old, then you will need to switch off the gas valve before you start to clean. And the new ones can be cleaned by simply lifting the disc off the burner and making sure that the burners are completely cool before cleaning it.
- Removal of burner heads – When you remove the caps there is a burner head. You can remove the burner head by just lifting it up.
- Soaking of the parts – Take a bowl and make a mixture of liquid dish soap with warm water and leave all the above parts in the bowl for at least 20 to 30 minutes. This will help the debris to loosen up.
- Scrubbing off the burner caps and heads – Take an old toothbrush and a non- abrasive scrub pad to remove the food stains from the surface of the burner caps and heads. Do not dig around deeply in the holes, and don’t use a toothpick, because if the toothpick breaks off it will clog the holes more.
If the stains are very hard, then you can make a paste of baking soda and water. Take a half spoon of baking soda and mix it with water. Apply it on the top of the burner caps and heads and again clean it with a pad which should be non-abrasive in nature and a toothbrush. You may repeat it several times and then gradually the stubborn stains will also get clean.
You can clean out the burner holes with a needle and then wash it again. A needle can aslo be used to clean the pot hole.
- Rinse it all – Rinse the parts under normal running water, was it properly so that you clean every part. Then you need to dry the parts with a cloth. Let all the parts air dry properly. Soak and scrub method is a way in which you can clean all the parts easily.
- Reassemble all the burners – one all the parts are dry, you will have to reassemble the burner heads, caps, drip pans and the grills. You need to see that all the parts are properly dry and only then you reassemble them.
You should clean the burners on a regular basis to avoid a pile of rust on your stove. Clean your burner after every time you cook. This process will help you in the future, you need to just wipe down the burners and the caps. This will not take a lot of time. If you clean it routinely it will avoid a buildup that will get very difficult for you to remove it.
The basic things required for cleaning your stove are –
-Cloth or a sponge
However, it’s better to clean your stove on a regular basis to avoid the hassle of cleaning it. You need to just take out sometime after cooking your meal and just wiping the stove with a cloth.
What are the reasons to clean your gas stove?
If you don’t clean your gas stove regularly the burners will get clogged which will make the burner weak and eventually your stove will die. The worst-case scenario can also be that a clogged gas stove can cause a fire hazard because of the cooking fat and flammable grease becoming caked on the burner and it can catch fire when you light the burner.
How often should you clean your gas stove?
This completely depends on how often you use your gas stove and how much mess you make while cooking. If your food splatters a lot or you create a lot of mess, then you need to clean your stove very frequently. Cleaning the stove frequently will gradually help you and won’t create a burden on you.
How to clean a gas burner to prevent build up?
If you clean your burners after every time you cook, the cleaning task will get easier for you. The process of cleaning the gas burner can only take an hour. If you clean it regularly then you can avoid a lot of food buildup which gets difficult and is also very time consuming to remove.
Can sharp objects be used for cleaning the burner?
You should never use a knife or any sharp object to clean the burner or to try to remove any hard food spills on the gas burner.
What are the best kitchen ingredients to clean the gas burner?
White Vinegar and baking soda are the best products for cleaning the gas burner.