People losing memory and having difficulty rationalizing the situation might be suffering from a neurological disorder; commonly known as dementia. Caregivers need to consult the best neurologist in Lahore for proper guidance. The specialist will conduct several tests to diagnose the severity of the condition and provide a treatment plan accordingly, which would allow the patient to function adequately.
Signs and Symptoms correlating to Dementia:
The neurological disorder affects cognitive, sensory, and psychological abilities. The common signs and symptoms that a person suffering from dementia exhibits include:
- The patient is unable to recognize family members and other close relatives.
- The person does not remember information regarding their personal life.
- The patient struggles with communication and using appropriate words in their sentences.
- The patient struggles with problems- solving and organizing things around them.
- The patient cannot complete complex everyday tasks.
- The patient appears to be disoriented and confused around people and while having a conversation.
- The patient is unable to control body movement.
- Compromised vision and unable to comprehend what they see.
- The patient suffers from agnosia, in which the person is unable to identify the objects and people.
- The patient suffers from the loss of sense of smell and taste.
- The patient remains anxious most of the time, leading to clinical depression.
- In severe cases, hallucination is a common symptom.
- The person remains agitated and loses interest in their favorite tasks.
Known Causes of the Disorder
The causes of dementia include:
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- The use of certain medications can cause the person to suffer from dementia.
- People diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease are more prone to get diagnosed with dementia.
- Clinical depression correlates with dementia.
- Damage to brain cells, due to Alzheimer’s or age factor can lead to the disorder
- Individuals with family members suffering from the disorder are more likely to develop the condition later in life.
- The accumulation of protein in the brain can cause the manifestation of the symptoms.
- Brain injury or severe trauma can result in the disorder
- People with vitamin deficiencies are more prone to suffer from the disease.
- Infection and brain cancer correlate with dementia.
- Abnormal enlargement of the brain structures can result in dementia.
Complications associated with Dementia:
The person cannot complete tasks such as; cleaning, washing hands, and taking a shower. The patient remains anxious and losses interest in everyday tasks. It also affects their body weight, and they are more likely to suffer from malnutrition.
The tests that assist in diagnosing dementia includes:
- Lab Testing: Complete Blood testing helps check the infection that may be causing the person to experience the symptoms. Additionally, spinal fluid testing helps evaluate the hormonal imbalances in the body and national deficiencies.
- Patient History: A complete investigation would allow the specialist to understand the cause, as it may be genetic or caused by head trauma.
- Use of neuropsychological testing: The testing helps evaluate the cognitive abilities; including, thinking, rationally and memory, of the patient
- MRI: Magnetic resonance imaging allows the detection of brain abnormalities.
- PET: Positron emission tomography observes the brain activities, which helps the specialist understand the involved region causing the symptoms.
- Computerized Tomography: CT scans help detect any tumor or enlargement in the brain structures. It helps provide the best treatment.
- Neurological Testing: It helps to evaluate body movements and visual perception. It allows the specialist to assess the severity of the condition of the patient.
The people who notice the correlating symptoms should not delay and visit a specialist. Individuals should book an appointment through oladoc.com to consult a verified, competent, and experienced neurologist. The specialist will help the family understand the cause, diagnose and provide information regarding effective treatment for the patient. For the best neurologist visit MEDICSI Hospital.