Individuals recommended undergoing angioplasty should consult the vascular surgeon in Lahore for guidance. The specialist can help the patient with the procedure and help provide assistance to the patient, which would allow the patient to enhance the quality of life.
What is the procedure of angioplasty?
The procedure helps the arteries to open, which is blocked by plaque. The procedure involves the use of the catheter across the atherosclerotic plaque, which is causing the blockage. The procedure is not suitable for severe cases. It is a preplanned procedure that allows the person to return home on the same day.
What risks are associated with angioplasty?
The risks involved in the surgery include:
- Bleeding during the procedure
- Risk of catching an infection
- Damage to the blood vessels
- Risk of blood clotting
- Risk of cardiac arrhythmia
- Chances of damage to kidneys
What to expect from the surgery?
- Before the surgery: The patient will be required to change and answer questions related to their medical history and food intake within 24 hours. A physical examination will be conducted before the surgery to evaluate the condition of the person. The IV will be attached to the patient for the medications, including sedatives. The sedatives will help the person to remain calm during the procedure.
- During the procedure: The timing of the procedure is dependent on the blockages of the patient. It may take 30-180 minutes. The patient remains awake and is aware of the surrounding. As soon as the area is numb, the doctors insert the catheter to open the blockages through the guidance from a live x-ray. The surgeon may use a stent if required in the same procedure.
- After the surgery: The condition and vitals of the patient are constantly monitored after the surgery. Once the effect of the sedatives wears off, the person can eat and return home on the same day. However, if the patient has been admitted due to a heart attack, the person will have to stay for several days to ensure there are no further complications.
What is the protocol of the surgery?
The protocol of angioplasty includes:
- The specialist will conduct a physical examination and ask the patient regarding their medical history.
- Before the surgery, the specialist will conduct blood testing, chest x-ray, and electrocardiogram for evaluating the overall health.
- The patient will be required to arrive at the hospital 2 hours prior to the surgery for preparation; including the angiogram and other testing.
- The person has to stop eating and drinking 10 hours before the procedure.
- The patient has to inform about all the medications in the use before planning the surgery as they may cause complications during and after the surgery.
What is the healing time from the surgery?
The person will be allowed to go home in one or two days. The condition of the person is closely monitored by the medical team. The person is allowed to walk after 8-10 hours of the procedure.
What is the aftercare of the surgery?
The aftercare of angioplasty include:
- Change in the Lifestyle: The patient has to avoid using alcohol and drugs. Also, after two months of the surgery, it is recommended that the patient develops a habit of light exercising to improve the overall health.
- Avoid heavy lifting: The patient is required to avoid heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks and rest for five days after the surgery.
Individuals that are at a higher risk of heart-related problems should consult a vascular surgeon in Islamabad. The specialist will help evaluate the condition and guide if there is a need for angioplasty, which would help minimize the chances of heart attack and other complications.